Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Current State of Affairs - Sock Struggles

Following up on my goals for 2017, here is what I am thinking for my #boxOsoxKAL2017.

So far I have 1 pair of socks almost completed. I have a few issues with both socks.

Side bar: I have yet to find a sock formula that works every time. I have tried toe up, cuff down, different size needles, different yarn, and an assortment of stitch patterns. A side goal of this KAL, I'm hoping, is to achieve a sock recipe for myself. My feet are not tiny but they are smaller than average. Typically, I CO 64 sts. and go from there. I have a wide foot, no arch, and narrow heels, not to mention large calves. I thought I must not be knitting at a tight enough gauge. Perhaps my lack of arch is causing the bunching on the top of my foot. Maybe I'm not meant to knit socks.

The solution? The Fish-lips Kiss Heel. I bought the pattern (only $1 folks!) and tried following all of the sizing information provided. Maybe I skimmed it. I'm sure I didn't miss anything vital. Probably. Regardless, I thought this was my solution for socks. I think it still may be. So far this remains to be seen. It's probably user error...

I thought I knit the first sock too wide around and so the heel wasn't fitting right. It wasn't enough of a mistake to make me frog it. So, I continued on to the second sock. Finished it, slid that bad boy on my foot and, pop, my heel was perfectly cupped by the fish lips kiss heel! Amazing! My toes were not so fortunate. I have about 1 inch of excess fabric at the toe. How?? I used the cardboard foot that I made from my very own foot! The same one I used for the first sock. So I tried the first back on and lo and behold, that one was too long as well.
Fish-lips kiss heel sock in Freia Ombre Sock - Flare

It seems my mistake must be in where I measured my ankle bone line since that is how you gauge the length of the foot. I'm a little bummed and slightly annoyed. But that's what I get for tracing my foot myself rather than letting someone else do it.

Dejectedly, I am going to frog the heel and some of the foot on both socks. I will reknit and hopefully have a nice pair of socks in the end.
I'm not sure if I will retrace my foot form or just use another pair of socks that I knit as a reference. I only have one pair of perfectly sized socks and they are in fact an inch or two shorter than this new pair :( I thought the fish lips kiss heel would be my answer to toe up sock sizing, but I still screwed it up.

After I sort out the perfect size for my socks, I plan on using my stashes sock yarn throughout the year. Here is what I have decided on so far:

  • Freia Ombre Sock - Flare
  • SweetGeorgia Sock - Intergalactic
  • BMFA BFL Fingering - Dr. Baker
  •  KnitPicks Felici - Balloon Ride, Ever After
  • Shoppel Wolle - Crazy Zauberball - Grey
  • Knit Picks Stroll Fingering - Dogwood Heather, Pumpkin, Wonderland Heather
  • SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock - Grapefruit, Lemon Curd
  • Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk - Herb
WOW. I didn't realize how much sock yarn I had until I just listed it out. It would be amazing if I could knit all of that yarn. On top of it, I'm hoping to get 2 pairs out of some skeins. My feet are small and I like ankle socks.

As far as patterns go, I may branch out into a textures design like a rib or maybe Hermione's everyday socks. I don't want to get too complicated because I suffer from second sock syndrome. I even bought a long fixed needle to attempt two at a time socks, or at the very least magic loop. I think wooden dpns are slowing me down! Bring on the lightning-speed, metal needles. I will become a sock machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment